Total Care Senior News
Cooking is the leading cause of home fires and fire injuries. Hundreds of people are killed
every year by a kitchen fire. To stay safe in any kitchen, follow these guidelines:
- •Keep cooking areas clean and uncluttered. A dirty oven or stove top may
contain “leftover” grease which can catch fire.
- •Never leave the room when food is cooking on the stove top or in the oven.
- •Get in the habit of turning a burner off before you remove the pot or pan.
- •Did you know that an electric burner can reach a temperature of 1000 degrees or more?
This means it can catch clothing on fire even after it’s been turned off.
- •Don’t wear long, loose sleeves that might hang over the stove while you’re cooking.
People have been known to set themselves on fire this way-with both electric and gas
ranges. (If your clothing does catch fire, remember to stop, drop and roll!)
- •Never pour water on flaming fat or oil-you’ll spread the fire. If the fire’s inside a pan,
slap on the lid. If out outside, turn off the heat and douse the flames by tossing on a
handful of baking soda or salt.
- •If the fire is inside the oven, turn the oven off and close the door tightly. This should
smother the fire.
- •Never try to carry a burning pot or pan to the kitchen sink or outdoors.
- •A fire extinguisher should be available in every kitchen. If you know how to use one,
grab it and put out the fire!
- •If the flames don’t go out right away or you suspect the fire may be smoldering
somewhere in the cabinets or woodwork, don’t hesitate to call the fire department.
- •If anything catches fire in a microwave, keep the door closed and turn off or unplug the
microwave. (opening the door allows oxygen to “feed” the fire. ) Don’t use the oven
again until it has been checked out bay a serviceman.
- •Be careful not to overload the electrical outlets in a kitchen. Unplug appliances-like
toasters and coffee makers- when you’re not using them.
- •If and appliance doesn’t work properly or smells funny when in use, have a family
member look at it.
- •Wipe up any spills promptly- whether they are on appliances, the stove top or oven.